论坛元老

超级加倍上传者

发表于 2019-11-28 00:26:45 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

Zen and the Art of Battlestation Construction 战斗堡垒建设的艺术与玄学

Chinese Version 中文版本

Posted March 02, 2018 by dgbaumgart in Art

Translation by Jn_xyp & Zhiyuan Huang

翻译:Jn_xyp & 黄致远

Tactical combat involving battlestations is a logical extension of the REDACTED BY HEGEMONY COMSEC most players are already well aware of despite dire warnings to avoid them from our benevolent protectors. Stations are also part of the colony-building features Alex has discussed recently, though I can’t make comment on how precisely they will play into the higher-level simulation.

在之前所发布的按照霸主通讯安全条例其内容不予显示的文章中,大部分玩家应当已经得到了警告:在未来的舰队战中,太空战斗堡垒的参与势在必行。虽然现在我仍然不太清楚Alex对于空间站系统实现的具体细节,但可以确定的是,空间站将会作为殖民地建设系统的一部分在近期被加入游戏。

However it’s going to work, we’re definitely going to need some enormous space-fortresses bristling with guns and danger. Someone is going to have to draw these things and figure out how all the pieces go together!

不论如何,加入空间站的计划已经确定了下来。现在,某人(作者)必须要画出炮塔林立的巨大空间堡垒,并设法将这些不同的部分组合在一起。

So let’s talk about how we developed a design for these things!

那么,现在让我来谈谈构思这些设计的过程。

Restate the assumptions 重申设计理念

The first step is to consider how stations are meant to fit with the rest of the game, even if details about the campaign level aren’t known yet. Due to certain REDACTED elements unleashed in the last major update, we actually do have some good experience with how stations play in tactical battles, so that’s a great starting point of practical knowledge there. Let’s restate some design imperatives:

设计空间堡垒的第一步是思考如何让其与游戏的其他部分恰当地结合。虽然目前在生涯模式中,空间站运作的细节还未可知,但依据在上次游戏大规模更新时透露的部分构思,我想我对于空间堡垒如何参与舰队战斗已经有了足够的经验。作为一个不错的实践出发点,让我来重申几个最为重要的设计目的:

• Stations should be more powerful than the most powerful battleship.

• Stations should be awe-inspiring.

• These are the space-castles of the new dark age, and they should look like it!

• 空间堡垒应当比最强力的战舰更为强大。

• 空间堡垒应当是磅礴庄严,令人敬畏的。

• 空间堡垒应当成为星区新黑暗时代的太空城堡,并有与其设定相符的外观!

In game-engine terms, a station (as discussed in LINK REDACTED BY HEGEMONY COMSEC) is implemented as an immobile, rotating base “ship” with smaller ships (as “modules”) attached at various points. These modules have their own sprites and act as sub-ships with motion determined by their parent’s rotation. Stations also get a unique hull system which provides all of their weapons with a huge range boost so you can’t sit at max range and plink the station to death.

从游戏系统的角度来说,一个空间站实际上是由一座固定在一个位置的旋转“基座船”和连接在其各个节点上的小船(空间站模块)组成。这些小船有各自独立的控制系统,并作为空间站的“子船”随空间站一同旋转。空间站拥有一个独特的船插,极大地提高了其上所有武器的范围,使玩家无法利用射程优势在空间站的射程外悠闲地将其射爆。

Back to modules: How big should these modules be? With the REDACTED battlestation we could get a little silly with the design and not worry about game balance too much provided everything looked cool and was both challenging and interesting to defeat. Here I imagine we’ve got to be a little more careful because it’s likely that more mundane stations will be a more common opponent so they need to fit more closely with the game’s power curve and world-building.

而说到空间站的模组:它们的尺寸应该是多少?在之前版本中(和遗迹空间站)的战斗里,我们可以允许在设计上犯些小错误,并且不用过多地考虑游戏的平衡性。只要让空间堡垒的外观无比炫酷,并使击败它显得有趣而富有挑战性即可。但在这个版本中,我们必须在这方面更加谨慎;因为根据现有的计划,许多(与遗迹相比)较为普通的空间站很可能会成为玩家常见的对手。我们需要谨慎地考虑其设计,以使其在游戏内的难度序列上处于一个合适的位置,并与世界观紧密地结合起来。

Battlestations, take 1 设计方案一

When presented with a complex problem of seeming immense scope, one may simply jump into a solution with the understanding that the first take will be insufficient, but that the experience of working out the issues therein may inform a much better subsequent solution. So this is exactly what I did!

当面对一个复杂而又宽泛的问题时,人们倾向于首先提出一个简单的解决方案,并在随后才意识到其中存在的不足。但是,人们在这一实践过程中所积累的经验,通常都会对他们后续方案的提出有所助益。这便是我选择这种策略的原因。

Here’s the first-attempt plan:

以下是第一次尝试的计划:

• The station will be a big round wheel-looking thing, like the small station sprites in the campaign suggest.

• The rim of the wheel will have lots of heavily armed modules.

• Let’s use four-way symmetry, because it’s easy to losslessly rotate stuff 90 degrees (so I don’t have to draw so much unique junk at strange angles). (And a warning from my future self: Down this road will lie no small amount of pain!)

• 空间站的形状将会是一个又大又圆的轮形,就像现在星系地图上那个小圆圈表现的那样。

• 在轮子的外环部分应当有许多全副武装的战斗模块。

• 让我们先用十字对称的方法来绘制空间站,因为把一个东西旋转90度非常容易(然后我就可以不用画那些奇怪角度上的乱七八糟的东西)(并且让自己对未来做好心理准备:设计空间站的过程中这种麻烦绝对少不了)

Cool, let’s do it. I drew a big circle-looking sprite plus some modules to stick to it.

我觉得这个构思还行,于是我画了一个圆环状的实体并在其上挂了一些战斗模块。

Here’s what the very first take looked like:

第一次的试验品大概长这样:

Yeah, that’s way too small, the firepower is insignificant. It was underwhelming and boring to fight.

的确,这个东西的尺寸实在是太小了。其上的火力显得微不足道,让人提不起和她战斗的兴趣。

(Though, aside, I did play around with the idea of small defense platforms like the above, but smaller. We might revisit this idea.)

(但其实在此之前,我已经有过与这个类似,但体积更小的小型防御平台的设想。我以后可能会重新考虑这个想法)

Graphics here are quite placeholders, of course, but not completely awful ones. I do want to test how the masses and composition feel to be able to understand their visual impact before spending far too much time polishing art that I absolutely know is going to have to change. There’s lots of use of kitbashing here, plus simple fills, linework, and gradient shading.

需要说明的是,这里公布的这些图片只是一些凑数用的未完成品,但并不是完全没有意义。我想在开始花费大量时间打磨这些粗糙的绘画细节之前,通过这些原型来了解空间站重心和结构组成对其视觉效果产生的影响。目前的原型上面使用了大量从旧设计上移植来的部分,以及简陋的勾线、填充和渐变。

Okay, too small? Let’s make it bigger and pump up the guns.

之前那个太小了?让我把她的体积扩大一些,并将其上的炮台包入主体结构中。

Here the sprite has become rather larger and the layout is looking a lot like the circle/plus of the station icon from the campaign map. You can see how the shield modules are done in a white higher-tech style so they stand out as clear targets. My thought here is the classic scifi media trope where you have to take the shield generator out before doing whatever else needs doing to blow up the station.

在这张图里,空间站的体积显著的增大了,并且其布局与星区地图上的圆圈十字形空间站图标看起来更加相似。空间站上的护盾模组用白色的高技术设计风格进行绘制,使其成为显眼的目标。在这里我借鉴了那些经典科幻影视作品的思路:在将空间站炸翻之前,必须先摧毁其护盾发生器。

It’s still too small, though, and doesn’t have the firepower needed to stop a proper fleet. One Onslaught (D) can make short work of this station.

即便如此,空间站的体积仍然不够大,并且缺乏足够的火力来拒止一支适当规模的舰队。一艘带有D船插的攻势 级就足够干掉这个站点。

As for what’s working, the concept of distinguishing modules by weapon slot type seemed cool, so I went further with that:

至于这其中可取的点子,我认为将武器模块按类型进行区分是一个不错的主意,所以我进一步改进了设计:

More guns! Also module loadout types are distinguished by colour using the UI hint colour per weapon type as a starting point.

更多的炮塔!作为一个开始,武器模块所对应的武器装载类型以每种类型的UI主题颜色进行涂装。

You may see that there’s also a layer of decor modules underneath the station base sprite. These would have no hit box and be treated as pure decoration. We ultimately removed these because it made it a lot more difficult to see what was going on, though they did look pretty cool. The thought was that these stations are of a spindle-type, like so:

你也许注意到,在空间站的下层还有一层用作装饰目的的模块。这些模块并没有自己的碰撞箱,并且仅仅会被视为纯粹的装饰。虽然这些装饰看起来十分炫酷,然而我最终移除了这部分内容,因为这些装饰的存在使玩家难以看清上方的战况。空间站的形状实际上是纺锤型的,就像下面这样:

(This painting was used to make the colony-screen icon for the orbital station.)

(这张图片曾被用作轨道空间站界面的插图。)

And we’d portray this spindle from the top-down, which is where you get the round shape with modules stuck on. Or something like that.

从空间站最上方安装各种武器模块的圆形(或者任何类似的部分)开始,我们自上而下地绘制空间站的纺锤形主轴。

I rather liked how the these looked, so I’ll just take this moment to show off a few unfinished sprites I cooked up for station decor.

我其实非常喜欢这些装饰部分的外观,所以我想要花点时间,来展示一些我特别为空间站装饰所制作的,未完成的部件。

(It is important, in game development, to know when you ought to throw an idea out. If an element exists solely because you think it’s cool for its own sake rather than for the sake of the game’s design goals, then one risks weighing down development with unneeded and even irrelevant complexity. This is not to say one should never indulge, of course! The trick is to indulge only when you’re really willing to pay for it.)

(在游戏的开发过程中,尤为重要的一点,就是要清楚何时应当将新的想法抛出。如果一个设计元素的存在,不是为了帮助实现游戏的设计目标,而仅仅是因为自己的偏好,那么这一元素就会因其本身所带来的额外的、没有必要的复杂性,成为阻碍游戏开发的隐患。当然,这并不意味着我们应当永远不去冒险;重点是,你必须做好为此付出代价的准备。)

Next iteration!

下一个版本!

About here is when I thought we might be almost to a state that’s more finalized. A few interesting developments are coming together here:

在这个版本中,我认为目前(空间站的设计)已经达到了一个比较完备的阶段,下面罗列了一些比较有趣的进展:

• Armour chunks in front of important modules to make them tougher and give rewarding visual feedback as you wear down their defenses (though we did this with REDACTED so it’s not exactly a new idea).

• Shield module strength is discernible by the size of the module, and they’re NOT evenly distributed. Bigger = stronger, naturally. The side with the weakest shield also has the biggest guns, so there’s that to worry about.

• You can see some ‘spurs’ of armour modules set between weapon modules; this is to reduce exploding chain reactions when a module is taken out. Yes, that sounds cool, but it makes stations way easier to beat than they ought to be.

• 装甲块一般放置在重要模块前,使重要模块更加坚韧,并且在其防御被瓦解时给予玩家奖励性的视觉反馈(在之前的版本里我们有过类似的设计,所以这并非是一个全新的概念)

• 护盾模块的分布并不均匀,但其强度是可以通过模块的大小来辨别的,自然,更大=更强。当然你不用担心,因为在护盾最薄弱的地方一般都有最大号的武器。

• 在不同武器模块的中间,你可以看到一些突出的尖刺形装甲模块,这些模块是为了减弱武器模块被摧毁时产生的爆炸连锁反应——虽然那种爆炸看起来的确很酷,但也使空间站变得过于不堪一击。

Though all of this looked pretty good, it was not creating very interesting fights. Tactics were essentially 1. find weakest side of the station (generally that which can shoot you the least so you can grind the shield), 2. pour fire into that, then 3. roll up the flanks from there. There wasn’t much consideration of individual modules aside from paying attention to the flux level on the shield module for the quadrant you’re cracking first and then everything else, which could mostly be ignored. In terms of UI, it was extremely difficult to even place the targeting cursor over a module to set it as target to see what its flux/health levels are, and there were just so many modules all over that you may as well not bother. Just pump fire into the mass of the station and hope for the best.

虽然这些设定目前看来似乎不错,但实际上并不能创造出比较有趣的战斗体验。通用的战术一般是:

1. 找到空间站防御最为薄弱的一面(通常是你受到反击最少的方向,因此就可以慢慢消耗对方的护盾);2. 向那一点倾泻火力;3. 从那一点撕开两侧模块的防御。

对于空间站的每一个片区,玩家不太可能去关心除护盾模块幅能以外的任何信息:护盾周边其他模块的状态通常会被忽略。从游戏界面的角度来说,将光标准确地放在空间站的一个特定的模块上本来就已经十分困难了,更不要说将其锁定以查看其幅能和结构值了。对玩家来说,与其烦心于众多模组各自的状态,不如直接将火力施放在整个空间站上,并祈祷能有一个好的结果。

We discussed at length all sorts of factors, including how the arrangement of modules on the station itself creates a sort of “tactical topography”. If there’s a simple ring of modules spaced relatively equally with relatively samey shield coverage, then it seems like there’s an axis of positioning – distance from station center – which isn’t being utilized. The battle is always just break the ring at the correct spot, then roll up the sides.

我们详细讨论了各种影响因素,包括如何通过空间站本身模块的排布来创造一种“战术地形”。如果空间站仅仅是一个简单的环形,模块间间隔相同,护盾覆盖相似,那么显然,从空间站中轴到外环间的距离并没有被有效利用。对于空间站的进攻总是拘泥于在环上的关键点打破防御,然后依次摧毁相邻的部分。

What if we arranged modules at varied distances from the station center?

如果我们将不同的模块排布在离中心不同的位置,会怎么样?

Theoretically the star pattern would provide a more interesting tactical space than the ring pattern, everything else being equal. Of course everything isn’t equal, which can make it more interesting. So where do the shields go on this – the points? The concave sides? (The REDACTED battlestation uses this module pattern, of course! And I will absolutely recognize here the irony of painstakingly discovering why the REDACTED battlestation layout works. It’s funny, because when I made that one the first time it was almost entirely driven by the desire to make something that looked cool. Turns out there are some good reasons why it plays better than the alternative!)

从理论上来说,四角星形虽然能提供比环形更为有趣的战术空间,但在别的方面与其并无不同。但实际上,为了使其更有趣,它们不应该是相同的。例如,护盾应该覆盖空间站的哪一部分?顶点?弧面?(在上一个版本的空间站中我们其实已经使用了非环形的设计(遗迹空间站);然而显得有些讽刺的是,现在我反倒要绞尽脑汁地思考为什么这种设计是有效的。有趣的是,上一个空间站的设计完全是由我自己的欲望所主导的,即“做一些看起来酷炫狂拽叼炸天的东西”,然而这种设计却在常规环型设计的面前显示出了诸多的优点!)

More ideas: What happens if there are outrigger “bastions” projecting outward from the station? Looking back, Alex used the phrase “motte and bailey” in this discussion, and it’s kinda fascinating to find some parallels between the development of our discussion on what to do with stations and historical fortress design – just look at “star forts”! (Hah, and that works on like two levels for us here. And yes, I’ve gone down this line of thought before.)

其他的一些想法:如果在堡垒的外部伸出支架,构造外延的“稜堡”(*堡垒外墙上的突出部分,与墙壁形成角度以在多个方向上进行防御性射击)会如何?曾经,在Alex与我讨论时,他使用了“城寨堡垒”(*一种防御工事,由内部的突起堡垒和外部被外墙环绕的开阔地组成)一词;并且令人兴奋的是,我在我们对此的讨论和历史上的要塞设计间发现了一些异曲同工之处:看看那些“星形堡垒”(15世纪后为应对大炮出现所设计的一类堡垒,特点是由多个三角形的棱堡组成)!(现在我们似乎正在同时进行两方面的研究,而且我曾经已经放弃了星形堡垒的思路)

This whole design needs 1. clarity and 2. to present actual tactical decisions. When attacking an opposing station, like when you dance with an opposing capital ship, you should know where each side stands at all times and consider your moves in relation to those of the opponent. The range of possibilities there should not be just one correct answer because, to quote one of my favourite bits of design commentary: “If there is only one best move, then it isn’t a game – it’s a puzzle. Figure out the puzzle and you’re done.

堡垒的设计必须要 1. 简单明确 2. 表现出现实的战术抉择。当玩家进攻敌方的空间站时,就像与敌方主力舰共舞一般:你需要清楚双方在任意时刻的位置,并对对方的行动做出相关的反应。在可能的范围内,不应当仅有一种最佳的策略,就如我最喜欢的一条游戏设计评论所言:“如果只有一种最佳的策略,那么这并不能够称作一个游戏——这仅仅是一个答案唯一的问题。找出答案,游戏便结束了。

Battlestations, take 2 设计方案二

We talked about it a bunch. Thoughts that arose:

我和Alex又讨论了许多,下面是一些新产生的想法:

• If you have so many modules that targeting a particular one doesn’t matter, then you might as well not have so many modules. Bigger and fewer is better.

• Which part of a station to attack must be a tactical decision with meaning.

• There should be more than one way to kill a station.

• 如果空间站上的模块数目过多,以至于集中锁定特定的一个已经失去了意义,那还不如减少模块的数量。增大模块的体积并减少其数量是一个更好的选择。

• 选择空间站的哪部分进行攻击应当是一个有意义的战术决策。

• 应该有不止一种方法来摧毁一座空间站。

These all somewhat related points, of course. How’s this work out in practice? Alex suggested making just three modules for the lowest level orbital station – and, if I recall correctly, this was after I observed that it seems like a station with trilateral symmetry feels way better to fight than one divided into four quadrants; three the lowest number of sides that’s still interesting, right? Clarity and interest.

当然,这些想法都或多或少地相互关联。那么,在实践中,这些理念应当被如何实现呢?根据Alex的建议,最低等级的空间站应当仅由三个模块组成;如果我没记错的话,他是在我发现三角对称的外形将其比划分为四等份的更加优越之后告诉我的。在同时满足简单明了和富有趣味的条件下,三条无疑是一个空间站能拥有的最少边数了。

This trilateral symmetry need not be entirely symmetrical of course, so long as the visual weight of each side looks semi-believable. So, for instance, one axis can have some kind of large bastion attached while the two others can have smaller bastions of a different type. Maybe the small ones are more PD focused, the large one mounting heavier guns, with a 2:1 arrangement of filler modules that have different shield strengths and loadouts.

对于这种三角对称的外形,每一条边当然不需要严格地对称,只需营造一种大致的三边平衡效果即可。因此,三个角的其中一个可以作为某种大型堡垒设施的所在,而另外两个角则可以分别有不同类型的小型堡垒。也许小型堡垒可以更加倾向于点防御职责,而大型堡垒则可以安装大口径的武器。两者的实体模块大小比例大致为2:1,并且有着不同的护盾强度和武器负载。

Also, instead of a dozen or two dozen small modules, let’s use a handful of very large modules; one for each major sector of the station. This way a player can deal with one sector as a problem unto itself, kind of like if you welded three battleships together in a radial pattern.

另外,与其在空间站上安装成打的小型武器模块,我更倾向于使用一到两个大型的模块,每个模块负责空间站的一个防御片区。对于玩家来说,可以将空间站的一整个部分作为一个整体来对付,就好像面对一个由三艘呈放射状,并连接在一起的战列舰组成的整体一般。

Here’s a Photoshop mockup of what a level one station (no bastions) might look like:

这是一张一级空间站的Photoshop预览,还没有安装武器和外部的棱堡:

The large station modules were made by jamming together a collection of the small modules I’d already drawn; just more kitbashing, no need to throw away all of the previous work.

在制作大型的空间站模块的贴图时,我实际上使用了我曾经为小型模组所绘制的一套组件。这实际上只是更多的魔改拼装而已,没有必要推翻之前已经完成的部分工作。

And we keep the armour blast-blocker pieces between the three station sectors for reasons already established. The battlestation upgrade can turn these into extended spurs with bastions mounted on the ends, so instead of fighting 3 battleships welded together, you’re fighting 6 battleships welded together. Or maybe 4 battleships and 2 cruisers. (Work with me here, this is hardly an exact science.)

因为之前已经提及过的原因,我们最终决定保留不同武器模块之间的突出抗爆炸隔断。通过对空间站进行升级,这些突出的部分可被扩展为伸出空间站的支架,并在其末端承载一个小一些的战斗堡垒。如果升级前的空间站可以视作把三艘战列舰焊在一起;那么现在你就要对付的,就是六艘战列舰的集合体,或者也许是四艘战列和两艘巡洋。(对于这种估计,我很难保证其精确性)

Here’s a take on the level 2 station – a battlestation – assembled in-engine:

这就是二级空间站的外观:一个安装了引擎的战斗堡垒:

For some reason this one got those decor underlayer modules back, which makes readability a bit of a mess. But! We can see that armour has been attached to one sector, and the blast blockers have grown into spars which mount bastions. The modules are absolutely too close together, it looks cramped in there.

因为某些原因,这个版本的空间站保留了下层的装饰物,使得这篇文章显得有点混乱…… 但是,我们在这张图上可以看到,装甲板已经被安装到了空间站一个部分的外围,并且那些曾经的防爆隔断也已经扩展为堡垒外部的防御设施。这些模块之间的距离很显然过于狭小,使整个结构看起来十分拥挤。

We also decided that the bastion covering the two hangar modules was rather underpowered, and the bastions in general were too

在做了,在做了(

英仙统领

在画女人

高级机师搬运能手战术专家通讯记者学院教员

Mod作者

发表于 2019-11-28 11:49:48 | 显示全部楼层
没有图片吗

点评

请问图片无法显示吗,如果无法显示的话麻烦提供一下您的网络环境以帮助定位问题  详情 回复 发表于 2019-11-28 16:35

驱逐技师

发表于 2019-11-28 13:55:17 | 显示全部楼层

管理员

论坛自动化运维AI

论坛元老

楼主| 发表于 2019-11-28 16:35:54 | 显示全部楼层

请问图片无法显示吗,如果无法显示的话麻烦提供一下您的网络环境以帮助定位问题

点评

我又能看见了  详情 回复 发表于 2019-11-28 17:08
在做了,在做了(

超级版主

Not viable

见习机师

发表于 2019-11-28 16:39:02 | 显示全部楼层
wwwwwwwwwwwww

英仙统领

在画女人

高级机师搬运能手战术专家通讯记者学院教员

发表于 2019-11-28 17:08:51 | 显示全部楼层
jn_xyp 发表于 2019-11-28 16:35
请问图片无法显示吗,如果无法显示的话麻烦提供一下您的网络环境以帮助定位问题 ...

我又能看见了

战列舰长

发表于 2019-11-29 09:50:59 | 显示全部楼层
感谢搬运及翻译,非常有趣

巡洋大副

发表于 2019-12-1 09:32:02 | 显示全部楼层
cool~~

战列舰长

发表于 2020-3-11 15:52:08 | 显示全部楼层

战列舰长

狂飙突进

发表于 2020-3-12 09:18:23 | 显示全部楼层